Guided visit to Monreale Cathedral, commissioned by the last Norman King of Sicily, William II and the Benedictine Cloister, UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
The imposing Cathedral houses one of the most extraordinary Medieval cycles of mosaics in West Mediterranean area. Among the main artistic attractions, the huge bronze Gate is also worth mentioning.
Then just around the corner, to the Medieval Cloister, a quiet place where the monks went to relax and meditate. It stands in the heart of the ancient Benedictine Abbey: you’ll admire 228 carved stone capitals, portraying fantastical figures, mythological images, biblical stories and ancient legends.
To be noted: it’s possible to get to Monreale
- by tourist bus service hop on/hop off (Yellow line - 10€ return ticket), leaving from Corso Vittorio Emanuele (near the Cathedral)
- by city bus AMAT n 389 or AST MONREALE, both leaving from Piazza Indipendenza.
- By cab/taxi in sharing: € 25 only one way (1 to 5 people - ask your tour guide)/ 50 € round-trip
- Meeting point: Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II (in front of the Triton Fountain - we’ll wait for you, showing a welcome board: Palermo Tour Sharing)
- Start: h 2:30 p.m.
- Sites: Cathedral + Benedictine Cloister
- Entrance Fees not included: € 4,00 Monreale Cathedral (free entrance for groups of less than 9 people); € 6,00 Benedictine Cloister
- Number of participants: max 12 people
- Language: English
- Duration: about 3 hrs
TAXI IN SHARING: € 50 return, in total (up to 5 people)